T5 Lightning Camouflage Livery - The Official Painting Guide!!

08 Apr 2017 15:26 #33432 by thebroons
Can't find it in cloud. Can you give me a pointer?

Cheers,

G

If you lived with my brain you'd begin eviction proceedings...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Apr 2017 17:32 #33445 by Avionyx
Er...try again :D

and don't try to suggest that I forgot to put it in the cloud, Because that's certainly what happened.

08 Apr 2017 22:40 #33448 by thebroons
And...

Grabbed the bird, and used it to reverse engineer the map a bit. Most major bits fitted.
Areas for attention would be fuselage nose, starboard side and central spine behind cockpit - loos like a poly effect at the center edge. Also upper surface tail hstabs, and need a duplicate set of ailerons and flaps for the bottom as it will likely be a different color. Port side rudder overlaps other areas right now.

The cockpit I had broken into 3 parts per the .ac. Might not be the best for texturizing - thoughts? Also figured the best way to tackle the nose cone might be to make it a circle rather than 2 side objects like triangles. Whaddya think?

Watch this space!

G

08 Apr 2017 23:41 #33450 by thebroons

Attachments:

09 Apr 2017 08:18 #33455 by Avionyx
Keep accidentally deleting my own replies here so excuse the brevity.

Not sure what's going on with the top of the HStabs, they are separate and show as mapped properly in my AC3D but I'll re-do them again on Monday.

Given what Scott posted earlier in the thread, and what we have in terms of model for the bullet I think a circle would be fine.
What do we want to do with the supports/vanes at the top and bottom, not sure how the intake inner is painted on a lightning so perhaps someone could shed some light on that?

They are part of the main fus model at the moment but can be stripped out and made an object if we need to play with them too much

Alex
Attachments:

09 Apr 2017 15:39 #33461 by thebroons
If Scott can confirm that the nose and vane are always the same color, then it could be mapped together with the nose cone as a circle with a fat line (for the vane) running N/S?

If the vane is a dissimilar color, then a fat line of its own should do the job, no?

G

09 Apr 2017 18:24 #33464 by Avionyx
Looks like we're lacking in detail and might need something more complex?

Don't delay your work for now, the cone looks like it can stay as it is but I'll have to redo the vanes.
Could Scott perhaps confirm the function of the kit in the vanes etc? Could do with some better pictures ideally.

Alex
Attachments:

09 Apr 2017 18:30 #33465 by Porcius
Thik last piccy is oarsome.

translation =

That / the last photo is magnificent.

Porcy :)

Lightning DOES strike twice.

Watchmen Quote - "I am looking at the stars.... Thier light takes so long to reach us. All we ever see of Stars are thier old photographs"

10 Apr 2017 23:48 #33482 by thebroons
Well, those pics put that Q to rest.

And yes Porcy, those are indeed whoarsome!

New basic map for Alex in cloud. Red is Port, Green is Stbd, other colors for wings and ailerons and flaps. Put in basic seam map - hopefully that will be helpful too.

G

11 Apr 2017 09:33 #33489 by Avionyx
Why do I get the feeling that you're painting it in bright colours in the hope that it might appeal more to my childlike brain.

Or is it "how can I make this tw*t keep it within the lines?"

Either way it seems to be working, just one snag so far.
Can you make the top of the tail a bit wider, it doesn't want to play ball without messing up the angle of the dangle from the forward to aft rake.

Attachments:

03 May 2017 18:22 - 03 May 2017 20:13 #33814 by ScottBouch
Hi fellas, sorry it's been a while!

Will try to keep an eye over the next days / weeks in case any more clarifications are needed!

Arrestor hook: This is a mistake and needs removing from the T5!! It was only fitted to the F6 and Saudi Arabian aircraft. Ditch it. However, for the F6, I provided dimensions of it in another thread.

Bullet top mounting: Thinner than bottom mounting, it carries cables and pipes for the radar inside it. Has short pitot tube at the front to measure the air intake air speed, not exactly sure what this air speed info is used for, will have to read up!

Bullet lower mounting: Thicker as it's got to accommodate the nose wheel and leg when retracted. Had a G90 Gun Camera in the front (little glass circle you can see off to one side), this cine-film camera is activated by the CAM button on the control column grip. The camera is removed from inside the wheel bay at the front to change the film. I think I have a video of me doing that somewhere...

Bullet top and lower mountings: The black surface on the leading edge is an electric heater, called a "Spraymat", it stops ice forming, as chunks of ice could damage the engines.

Please bring up any more questions, I'll keep checking...

Cheers, Scott.

03 May 2017 20:44 - 03 May 2017 20:46 #33819 by ScottBouch
Here's a picture from under the back end, showing the skid / bumper, and no arrestor hook on the T5:

And detail on the skid, it's made from rubber, and the parachute cables pass through grooves in it's sides:

Here's the parachute cable top attachment:

Attachments:

03 May 2017 20:45 - 03 May 2017 20:50 #33820 by ScottBouch
Some nice real textures (hydraulic oil leaking from the manual hydraulic pump):

Inside the Lower bullet fairing, nose leg top pivot (red device is ground down lock clamp):

Looking down past the nose bullet lower fairing to No1 engine (lower), not the clearest picture:

Attachments:

03 May 2017 20:58 #33821 by ScottBouch
Spare Bullet - I knew I had an image somewhere! The lower fairing is part of the aircraft fuselage, the upper is part of the bullet:

Under the back end again:

For a laugh, all 2-seater Lightning first aid kits carried their fair share of graffiti:

Cheers, Scott.
Attachments:

03 May 2017 21:00 #33822 by ScottBouch
Attachments:

03 May 2017 21:23 #33826 by thebroons
Lovely pics Scott, definitely will come in handy.
Seeing you seem to have ready access to such a bird, would you (during the paint build) be able to do some pics on request?

There will be some spots where a good pic is worth gold, as most pics out there are not able to show wheel wells and the like in a more "head on" or "square" way as opposed to being taken at oblique angles (normal) or being terrifically wee. Other places are the inside door surface of the air brakes, gear doors, etc. for example.

Let me know if I can give you a list for photo acquisition! Bit cheeky I know, but there it is. :lol:

G

03 May 2017 21:50 #33827 by ScottBouch
Hi, well, since having kids, I don't work on it any more... been about 5 years.. these are all historic pics from my archives I'm afraid.... If I ever do go again, I'll definitely see what I can do with my camera, so yes, go ahead an make me a list, but can't promise if / when I'd be able to satisfy it.

More stuff to follow shortly!

03 May 2017 21:52 #33828 by ScottBouch
Fuselage datum measurements:

Aft fuselage shape:

This is the transport joint between cockpit and aft fuselage, note how it's slightly wider at the bottom than the top:

Attachments:

03 May 2017 21:54 #33829 by ScottBouch
Shape of the spine, aft of the transport joint, ie: on the aft fuselage, not the cockpit section:

Attachments:

03 May 2017 21:55 - 03 May 2017 22:02 #33831 by ScottBouch
Attachments:

Time to create page: 1.366 seconds