T5 Lightning Camouflage Livery - The Official Painting Guide!!

13 Dec 2016 20:18 - 13 Dec 2016 21:28 #31999 by ScottBouch
Oh yes... we have it... The official RAF guide on how to paint a T5 Lightning in camouflage, including every detailed stencil!

Due to file size, I'm hosting the PDF on my home server at: https://www.scottbouch.com/FGUK/T5_lightning_camouflage_painting.pdf

(Let me know if the link doesn't work as I can't self-test due to lack of loopback router, and lack of mobile reception too)

But here is a preview of Page 1:

All measurements are in inches.

The paints are all in BS code format, but this website allows conversion to Hex codes / RGB values, or whahtever else you need:
https://www.e-paint.co.uk/Lab_values.asphttps://www.e-paint.co.uk/Lab_values.asp

The only deviation from this guide you normally see is the stainless steel ring of the air intake - the guide says to paint over it, only leaving the first 1" exposed, however, not many Lightning's did get it pained over in reality. I guess the painters just couldn't bring themselves to paint over it!

To aid this, some great squadron evidence images here: http://derbosoft.proboards.com/thread/10061http://derbosoft.proboards.com/thread/10061

Cheers, Scott.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Dec 2016 20:41 #32000 by thebroons
Sweet!

Does that mean there's a finalized map on the way?

Inquiringly,

G

If you lived with my brain you'd begin eviction proceedings...

13 Dec 2016 20:48 #32002 by ScottBouch

13 Dec 2016 20:58 #32004 by StuartC
Nope bIm the man for the code. The code is in the T5 at Gary's requwst a month ago using the original textures as basis.

18 Dec 2016 17:31 #32056 by thebroons
So, been playing with the Lightning....

So I has some dev requests.

1. Can someone look into what's causing the distortion on the wings for the seam lines and roundels? Fixable?

2. Can someone tweak the .ac to allow for a left side 1fusefront.jpg (maybe 2fusefront.jpg)? This will allow decals to be not backwards. After all, seeing Scott has gotten details on every decal, it would simply be horrible to have them mirror imaged.

Thanks!

G

Attachments:

18 Dec 2016 20:00 #32061 by thebroons
Need another side of the tail stab too!

There's actually buckets of space on each of the map files to do a decent consolidation if there's a mapper who feels up to it.... Would go aways to reduce final package size. Not that I'm afraid of a big package y'know...:woohoo: :S :evil:

G

19 Dec 2016 09:42 #32062 by Avionyx
G,

If you want to produce the map, or even an outline of where you want things to be with a label (so I don't eff it up) then I'll stick it on the bird.

19 Dec 2016 13:23 #32064 by thebroons
I shall make it so....

;D

G

19 Dec 2016 15:19 - 19 Dec 2016 15:25 #32068 by ScottBouch
How much does the 3d body shape impact on the graphical maps?

I only ask because there is room for improvement with the 3d wireframe model - like the wings being the wrong type, they are F6 wings (leading edge flared extension), the T5 used the F3's wings (straight leading edge).

The nose cone looks too big in diameter where it enters the air intake. I used to be able to squeeze into the air intake, past the nose cone (can't these days now I've put on a bit of weight), but the game T5 seems to have not enough gap.

Basically, I was asking because I didn't want to see loads of effort go into the graphics based on a flawed 3d model, only to have to re-do it when the 3d model gets corrected.

Thanks for taking an interest in this document and getting the aircraft paint correct to the original RAF information! I never trust air museums for points of reference (like photographs of an aircraft they have re-painted), always best to go back as far as possible for accuracy!

A quick colour improvement - can the fronts of the ejection seats be coloured dark green? T5's never had brown horseshoe like the Jet Provost did, just a minor change, but it'll be a big improvement.. They have dark green parachute pack ("horseshoe"), with golden coloured straps, and lighter green shoulder pads that sit between the straps and the occupants shoulders. There is also a cream coloured pair of straps in a V shape that retain the horseshoe in place. This video shows what I mean:

Plus the angle of the all moving tailplane as previously highlighted:
fguk.eu/index.php/forum/ee-lightning-t5-...ailplane-video#30593

Cheers, Scott.

19 Dec 2016 19:12 - 19 Dec 2016 19:15 #32070 by thebroons
And have now made it so.

I put in the cloud in /Aircraft/EELightning/Models a dir called "ForAlex" that's zipped up. Inside is the latest blueprint for the T5 in both GIMP .xcf format and Adobe .psd format

Each has 3 layers which you can turn on and off at will.

Blueprint Layer
Labels Layer
Parts Layer

I think I have everything on the map that should go - might be worth getting all the interior pieces like cockpit surround, MB ejection seat, etc on an interior map. Can work on this if desired...

Your move....Space Caaaaaptain!

;)

G

20 Dec 2016 20:34 #32082 by ScottBouch
How does one access the cloud? I use Gimp a lot and am interested to have a look at how you build up the livery to educate myself.

I'd also be interested, if I can help, to have a crack at doing some work on the seat and cockpit surround imagery.

Thanks, Scott

04 Jan 2017 13:47 #32230 by ScottBouch
The following user(s) said Thank You: StuartC

04 Jan 2017 21:38 #32236 by thebroons
Gawd Dammit Scott!

Every time I sees a post I'm like "Alex has the new map done!".

I did snag your doc a while back. Muchas GrassyArse for that. Why don't you have your webpage in your SIG to we can find it easy? 'Specially cuz there's probably more goodies for poking at. :P

Cheers!

G

05 Jan 2017 11:15 #32247 by Avionyx
Anyone else having an utterly terrible Day?

Whoever modeled this Lightning I'd like to meet them and deliver a swift kick to the foreskin.
The top of the wing alone has 326 individual little surfaces, some of them smaller than the point of my mouse even when zoomed in 400%. All having to be selected one by one while. Bless the little blighters.

It's getting there, probably going to need to be some tweaks to the map, the spine shape and things like that don't match entirely on an even 50/50 split.

Otherwise it should eventually come out quite nice.

Attachments:

05 Jan 2017 16:15 #32259 by Avionyx
What shall I do with the nosecone inner bits? The map only has the outer cone on but as you can see it goes much further back, and do we want the currently textureless inner centre vane bits mapped too? (technical term)

Attachments:

05 Jan 2017 18:06 #32261 by ScottBouch
The radar nose cone and the rear fairing is together called the "Bullet".

I can give you photos of what the whole bullet looks like when I find them, to improve the current model, but in the meantime, this video will probably help:

See from about 2 minutes in.

I can get you real dimensions of the nose cone as my dad has one in his shed, photo attached.

@TheBroons, my website is in my sig, but I can update the link to the Lightning area if it helps.

Cheers, Scott.
Attachments:

05 Jan 2017 21:15 #32267 by thebroons

my website is in my sig, but I can update the link to the Lightning area if it helps.

Sorry Scott, wasn't trying to be gauche or nuffink, but I figured you might be using the domain for more than just FG and Lightning stuff, and that maybe there was a better internal directory. My bad.

I have a heavy hacking cold right now. It's probably affecting my brain. Don't mind me...

:P

G

06 Jan 2017 10:47 - 06 Jan 2017 10:48 #32276 by ScottBouch
PS: interesting notes on Lightning nose cones:

You will notice (hopefully) some small dark spots in the surface of the fibreglass, with a lighter spiral below it running through the fibreglass thickness...

Original:

And Gimped up a bit:

This is the result of static electricity building up on the nose cone surface due to the airflow friction. Eventually the strange spiral pattern gets burnt into the inner fibreglass, and a dark spot appears at the surface. Looks like a worm of sorts, the spirals are a couple of inches in diameter. Really weird, but true.

ALSO,

This particular cone is a bit unusual having the cross-head screws through the fibreglass. These screws mount a Luneburg Lens inside it, which was used for trials... so a bit unique! Most Lightning nose cones do not have these cross-head screws (just in case you wanted to use it as a texture). In fact, you'll not find a single cross-head screw on the aircraft due to it's age!
Attachments:

06 Jan 2017 10:50 #32277 by ScottBouch

thebroons wrote:

my website is in my sig, but I can update the link to the Lightning area if it helps.

Sorry Scott, wasn't trying to be gauche or nuffink, but I figured you might be using the domain for more than just FG and Lightning stuff, and that maybe there was a better internal directory. My bad.

I have a heavy hacking cold right now. It's probably affecting my brain. Don't mind me...

:P

G

No worries dude, I'll add a link to the Lightning area, as yes, I use the domain to cover lots of things!

Cheers, Scott

06 Apr 2017 11:55 #33385 by Avionyx
I've had colonoscopies more fun than doing that, but it's in the cloud and it's OK I reckon.

There's a few places where the mesh doesn't quite fit the map, the hook and some of the fuselage areas. also the Speedbrakes have something funny going on and the canopy too.

I've merged quite a few of the fuselage pieces and split others off so it makes more sense and they can be mapped together, it might break some FG things but should be easily fixable.

Nose gear door too seems to do something funny with the textures but we'll have a play with that when it's got some paint on. It'll still need some fettling for sure but can you have a look Gary and see if it makes a viable starting point?

Alex
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: thebroons

Time to create page: 0.307 seconds