Fuel Tank "Full" / "Not Full" Indicators

11 Aug 2016 10:11 - 22 Aug 2016 14:58 #30444 by ScottBouch
This was mentioned in another thread.

It's not for warnings, it's fuel tank information.

Each tank has a "full" float switch. These float switches illuminate extinguish these little windows green when the tanks are full.

The Lightning should use the Ventral tank fuel first, followed by the flaps, then the wings. So you'd see these indicators go out illuminate from the middle, working outward.

They just indicate Full as Dark / Not full as illuminated green.

The two windows without any text are for the overwing tanks, which 458 doesn't have installed.

The idea is to use up the fuel in the jettisonable tanks first (the ventral and over-wing, if fitted). But really this is just to show the fuel system is working correctly.

the little thumb-wheel on the right is to dim the display by moving a dark plastic filter in front of the bulbs.

The same indicator is in the F6, and possibly other models too.

Cheers, Scott.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Algernon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Aug 2016 18:56 #30565 by Algernon
I'm still not clear why it's more useful to know when a tank is full than when it's empty, but never mind :) What would be interesting, though, is to know accurate fuel capacities for each tank? I don't think, for instance, our fuel tanks are separated into wing and flap tanks, but data for those could be useful for refining the fuel system script from other aircraft for the T5. Is that data in the pilots notes, do you know?

14 Aug 2016 20:23 #30577 by StuartC
we didn't split them because we didn't have the data.

14 Aug 2016 20:46 #30578 by ScottBouch
The tanks only have high level float switches, not low level. Their primary use is to stop the filling of the tanks when you're done air-to-air refueling all lights will be lit, so at a quick glance you know you're good to depart from your Victor without having to study the tank indicators.

The port and starboard indicators combine the flap fuel and tank fuel, and present a total of the two.

To get exact figures for each tank I'll need to do some digging / asking as I'm not sure my manuals will say.

Cheers, Scott

22 Aug 2016 14:56 #30779 by ScottBouch
EDIT - had my logic reversed... they extinguish when the tank is full!

Cheers, Scott
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Algernon

22 Aug 2016 15:06 #30781 by Algernon
Cool - air to air refuelling is near the top of the to-do list, so this will be a part of it. I reckon the photo you've used below could be tweaked to be a texture quite easily...

23 Aug 2016 16:35 #30803 by Algernon
Is the thumbwheel filter progressive for variable dim or just one, darker shade?

23 Aug 2016 19:01 #30807 by ScottBouch
Its just a darker shade.

Its a simple plastic strip that is either up out of the way, or down in front of the bulbs (behind the worded windows).

The knob only rotates 1/4 of a turn, and the tinted plastic strip moves with the knob.

When you rotate it down into place, you see the windows dim from the top down. The leading edge of the tinted plastic gives a pretty definable line as it moves down behind the windows. Then they are just dim.

Cheers, Scott

23 Aug 2016 20:10 #30808 by Algernon
Thanks :) Trying to get it modelled, but the photo is just not quite high-res enough to easily separate the components. Will keep trying though - air-to-air is going to be interesting in this. Also looking into TACAN, including Air to Air TACAN, as Richard's Emisary script is coming out with the next FG release :)

23 Aug 2016 21:39 - 23 Aug 2016 21:41 #30813 by ScottBouch
Might be worth Googling around for lighting cockpit images as these same indicators were used in the F6, F53, probably T55, and maybe other earlier models too.

Unfortunately that's the best image I have of the unit..

A-A TACAN Would be pretty neat! it'd also be extra neat if UHF ADF / Violet Picture worked too as the backup!

Cheers, Fright

30 Sep 2016 19:23 #31337 by ScottBouch
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: StuartC

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds