Lightning T5 Liveries

09 Aug 2016 10:43 #30350 by Algernon
...can we have a chat about Lightning liveries, please?

I can't remember what we said about textures, but I suspect the Lightning's going to need remapping from a liveries point of view - it's spread over several textures at the moment which is a bit irksome, and I'm going to be making some changes to the way the mesh is held together soon anyway to sort out the disintegration problems. So... once that's done... whaddyathink?

I had one idea I thought would be nice - to emulate the liveries currently worn by surviving Lightnings as a kind of tribute. Also, we have been getting a few nice resources from Scott and the people who preserve the old girls and it would be nice to acknowledge their contribution by putting their aircraft in FG. How viable is that do you think?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScottBouch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Aug 2016 10:53 - 09 Aug 2016 11:00 #30354 by ScottBouch
thank you Algy.. Not knowing how hard it it do do this work< i'll throw some examples into the mix!

Here's one scheme XS458 has been in!

I love this photo, I have a couple form this photoshoot, in fact our current pilot, Dennis Brooks was flying the camera Lightning at the time!
Attachments:

09 Aug 2016 10:56 #30355 by ScottBouch
Attachments:

09 Aug 2016 10:59 #30356 by ScottBouch
Attachments:

09 Aug 2016 11:02 - 09 Aug 2016 11:03 #30357 by ScottBouch
458's current scheme is also quite striking (but the various squadron markings above the wind are obviously not original!)

That's me in the photo dropping the Houchin (ground generator) cables to the floor
Attachments:

11 Aug 2016 14:56 #30453 by thebroons
All perfectly doable.

Hows about I make a provisional texture map on one image and see what it's like for remapping the texture to?
I'll knock up a blueprint and post.

G

If you lived with my brain you'd begin eviction proceedings...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Algernon, ScottBouch

12 Aug 2016 12:38 #30489 by Algernon
Could do, Gary, but consider a couple of things as you do. Firstly, what sort of resolution do you want to work at? Where we would usually have one big 4096 x 4096 texture, what do you think about having two texture files for the livery, one fuselage and one wings, both at 2024 x 2024, to pre-empt issues with large image files?

13 Aug 2016 22:37 #30538 by ScottBouch
In speaking with XS420's owner, he's really happy at the thought of a livery as his aircraft, and has said his choice of scheme is it's current one, the Coltishall 226 OCU colours (silver with the whire roundel bars and red cross).

Cheers, Scott
The following user(s) said Thank You: Algernon

13 Aug 2016 22:49 #30539 by Algernon
Good news! I love making real, existing aircraft in FlightGear, and it's always much nicer to have the approval of the owner (unless the owner is the taxpayer, in which case I'm calling in my contribution). One day, I shall email Andre Tempest who owns Victor XL231 (Lusty Lindy) and see what he thinks of the FGUK Victor...

14 Aug 2016 14:52 #30553 by thebroons
Provisional BP, doesn't include wee bits yet.

Let me know if this is OK so far,

G

Attachments:

14 Aug 2016 15:20 #30554 by StuartC
T5 Gary, T5. not the f6................

14 Aug 2016 15:39 #30555 by Algernon
Thanks buddy :)

Did you see my post above with regards to texture size? I need to know your thoughts on that before I can comment on the map below. It really depends on how much resolution you need. If you can do it all on one texture at 2048 x 2048 (see below about non-painted areas being on a different texture) then great - otherwise we might have to rethink. I don't want textures to exceed 2048 pixels square as it causes problems for some Mac users.

You can have more space for actual paint if you want, as I don't want the undercarriage - or, in fact, any unpainted areas, but there aren't that many aside from the undercart and engines - included in the livery texture. Only surfaces that need to change with the livery select code should be included in the livery texture. All others will have their own texture(s). Not sure whether than includes the inlet cone - I don't know if that is ever painted a different colour. Perhaps Scott can advise...

Great to be moving ahead with this, Gary, thanks a lot! :)

14 Aug 2016 15:39 - 14 Aug 2016 15:43 #30556 by Algernon

StuartC wrote: T5 Gary, T5. not the f6................

Oh yeah, and that...

Plus, I'm going to rename this topic to something more descriptive of the content, now that I've got your attention... ;)

14 Aug 2016 16:04 #30557 by thebroons
Gonna make the map 2048x2048 minimum.

I haz Mac, and NP for 4096x jpgs here....

Will leave off wheels and gear struts from the next version. Need to make sure that I have the proper perspective on sizing the gear doors yet.

As to the F6, I'm sure that there will be commonalities, and I was going to do a similar one for the T5 too.... :P

Once I have something half way decent I'll put in Cloud for grabbage.

G

14 Aug 2016 17:41 #30561 by thebroons
And the T5 map....

B)

G

Attachments:

14 Aug 2016 18:17 #30563 by Algernon
I figure the best thing with the gear doors is, don't separate them - they just pop out of the painwork anyway. I'd leave them out. The insides are already taken care of, as they don't change with the livery...

14 Aug 2016 19:05 #30566 by thebroons
Dropped a JPG 2048x2048 in the cloud @ Aircraft>EE-Lightning>Models>T5>New Lightning T5 Blueprint V1a.jpg

In Aircraft>EE-Lightning>New Lightning F6 Blueprint V1a.jpg for whenever.

My thoughts are to maybe up-scale the vstab sides more, perhaps the rear hstabs?

Anyone else?

G

14 Aug 2016 19:10 #30567 by ScottBouch
Hi, quick observation as Algy pointed out in another thread, the F6 and T5 aelierons are different.

The T5 has a horn that comes forward of the pivot point, so the very wing tip is actually aelieron.

The F6 and F53 & T55 aircraft had the kinked leading edge, which meant the ailieron was more like a flap, as in the image just shared.

Have a scan through my recent twitter images ( www.twitter.com/scottbouch ), I recently posted diagrams of the T5 from a manual including overall dimensions. A plan view should show what I'm on about.

Cheers, Scott

14 Aug 2016 19:12 #30568 by ScottBouch

14 Aug 2016 19:17 #30569 by Algernon
Coolio. Shouldn't make a difference to the livery mapping, though, I'll just have to hack up the wing a bit to correct it.

Time to create page: 0.320 seconds