Undercarriage Textures & Animations

09 Aug 2016 21:55 #30374 by Algernon

ScottBouch wrote: That looks really nice!

Thanks, and thanks for the YouTube comment. So do you think that will do? There are a few milliseconds here and a few milliseconds there that would make it better, but as far as I can tell, that's how it goes... different aircraft retract at different speeds it seems, since some videos show a quite stately retraction, others show it happening quite rapidly in clear stages, which I've tried to emulate.

There is going to be a realism issue with the nosegear. The videos I've seen suggest that the nosegear always actuates last, whether extending or retracting. That calls for a whole new layer of coding to make it happen - it's not difficult, but it is added complexity. I am torn between leaving it out, because of the complexity, or including it along with some custom code to make the whole gear operation (mostly the momentum effects of the wheels when they leave the tarmac) a bit nicer. To get it to operate over multiplayer adds yet another layer of complexity, so I might shelve that idea for now. There are a lot of things I don't have time for before the release deadline, and after all, the aircraft is being released as an ongoing beta as, much like preserving the real thing, there is always a list of things that need doing in an aircraft development to this level of detail.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Aug 2016 12:06 #30380 by ScottBouch
The best resource you'll have for seeing retractions in flight is browsing youtube videos..

I believe the undercarriage hydraulic circuit is common to all three legs, and in flight, the air passing by will hamper the nose leg when going Up (as it's fighting the air flow), and encourage the main legs Up! So in flight, the mains go up first as they are having the easier life, followed by the nose when all hydraulic fluid is heading it's way!

You will probably find that when the legs are coming Down in flight, it's the nose that finishes first, as the air flow is helping it along, but hampering the main legs..

(When we have done retractions on the ground, the nose leg actually goes Up first, followed by the mains! The reason it's the other way round on the ground, is that the main legs are heavier than the nose, so the nose leg goes first as it's the easiest to move wit no air passing by!)

The undercarriage cockpit indicator lights should change over from green to red as soon as the legs are unlocked form Down position.

They go from Red to Green when the legs are confirmed locked Down. So in flight you'd expect the nose leg to go from Red to Green first, followed by the main legs. The main leg lights will turn green at almost the same time as each other, they are never quite identical!

Cheers, Scott.

10 Aug 2016 12:10 #30381 by ScottBouch
If you know the weight of the aircraft, this chart will tell you the typical Oleo extension in inches when parked on the ground:

These following charts relate to the Oleo extension in inches as a result of changing pressure in the leg, as a result of landing / taking off:

Main legs:

Nose Leg:

Clearly this level of real detail won't help you meet the deadline, but it's there for a rainy day!

Cheers, Scott.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Algernon

10 Aug 2016 12:44 #30384 by Algernon
Yes, I will definitely implement that!!

10 Aug 2016 14:17 - 10 Aug 2016 14:32 #30389 by Algernon
Undercarriage almost there. The texturing will hopefully be redone at some point, but it's fine for this release.

The main gear retraction is supposed to be slightly asynchronous, but that isn't working on the video. Got it sorted now tho.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScottBouch

10 Aug 2016 14:29 #30390 by Algernon
Whoops...

10 Aug 2016 14:39 - 10 Aug 2016 14:44 #30392 by ScottBouch
Wow, that was very swish indeed!!!!!

Really impressed with what you've managed to achieve, it looks fantastic!

Are you now moving onto other aspects for the release? (ie: shall I give a minor change later)

Fantastic work, great job!

In light of all this, English Electric missed a trick, they could have used a spare contact form the undercarriage switches to disable the taxi lights when the legs are up! as it happens, you can accidentally leave the lights on for the flight duration without knowing! But, I guess, the cost of a spare bulb now and again isn't much compared to the addition of a couple of wiring runs.

10 Aug 2016 14:58 #30393 by Algernon

ScottBouch wrote: Are you now moving onto other aspects for the release? (ie: shall I give a minor change later)

Go ahead and say it now, and I'll decide if it's easier to do now or later...

In light of all this, English Electric missed a trick, they could have used a spare contact form the undercarriage switches to disable the taxi lights when the legs are up! as it happens, you can accidentally leave the lights on for the flight duration without knowing! But, I guess, the cost of a spare bulb now and again isn't much compared to the addition of a couple of wiring runs.

Yes, I figured that from the videos - they go out on the virtual aircraft because it's kinder to frame rates for all the undercart to no longer be drawn once it's invisible :) On the subject of lights, do you know where the probe light is mounted (we don't even have a probe at the moment I think)? I'm about to start on the lights...

10 Aug 2016 15:12 - 10 Aug 2016 15:21 #30397 by ScottBouch
Ok,

On the main legs:

On the main doors bolted to the legs, there are two small hinged sections at the top, that fit into place as the lag closes, they cover up the leg pivot area.

these smaller doors are attached to the top of the main door with a straight piano hinge, and are pulled closed by linkages. the smaller door to the rear only opens a few degrees, while the bigger one, sort of slides inboard, under the wing, and stays parallel to the wing.

These are not the best photos in the world unfortunately.

Please don't let this tiny improvement distract from the great work you have done!

Are you gong to add the bracing strut to the main legs? this breaks in the middle and folds away into the wing as the leg goes up.

I'll cover the refueling probe lights in another thread.

Cheers, Scott
Attachments:

10 Aug 2016 16:53 #30410 by Algernon
OK, cool. I will probably not do that this time around, as those gear doors have been a big ot a pain in the arse and I'm kind of done with them for a few weeks! :)

I'm wiring in the lights to the electrical system now (they were alight by magic in the video). I'm assuming the navigation lights are 28v, do you know whether the taxi light and probe lights are (being a bit more powerful, I thought they might be on the medium voltage buss instead)...

10 Aug 2016 17:01 #30412 by ScottBouch
The following user(s) said Thank You: Algernon

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds