EE Lightning T5: Stage 1 - Beta Prep

06 Jan 2019 20:15 - 06 Jan 2019 20:19 #41507 by thebroons

If you lived with my brain you'd begin eviction proceedings...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Jan 2019 22:42 #41510 by Porcius
FuckME !

AWESOME !!

Want it !

That one !

G - you've done it !

Porcy

Lightning DOES strike twice.

Watchmen Quote - "I am looking at the stars.... Thier light takes so long to reach us. All we ever see of Stars are thier old photographs"

07 Jan 2019 19:28 #41516 by StuartC
Dev FDM updated to remove thev Elevator warning and increase roll rate.

08 Jan 2019 18:45 #41518 by StuartC
Gary are you wanting livery code based on the original multi part texture or what ?

08 Jan 2019 22:13 #41521 by thebroons
@ Stu

Liv code based on what we have right now. Hopefully in the future we can have dedicated port / starboard tail and forward fuselage, and revisit and tweak it then.

@ Scott

Thanks dude! Way to go yet, but still tasty!

G

08 Jan 2019 23:01 #41522 by ScottBouch
The splash screen sums it up very well! It reminds me of a Lightning T-shirt I used to have when I was a kid entitled Bat Out Of Hell!

How would changes to the elevators and wings affect the artwork?

Basically, it's got the wrong wings, they are F6 wings, T5 leading edge is straight. Also the elevator pivot axis is about 45 degrees out... not perpendicular to the body,

I don't know Blender well enough yet to have a go at fixing it, but wanted to float the points now to save re-doing work.

Cheers, Scott

09 Jan 2019 10:06 #41524 by StuartC
way beyond my blender skills to edit that.

09 Jan 2019 13:12 #41525 by thebroons
Can adapt artwork to accommodate any changes. Biggest of these is to establish separate imagemaps / mapping for the forward fuselage and the tail so that these are not mirrored.

Which begs the question - can we fix it (albeit temporarily) - by having an identical file to 1fusefront.jpg called 2fusefront.jpg, and edit the .ac to use that map for that side. Repeat with 1tail.jpg for the Vstab. 2 more textures, but I can keep file sizes manageable. Is that a viable fix (for now)?

Mirroring takes a shit on authenticity of the artwork - reversed decals and limited camo options are fugly.

G

09 Jan 2019 16:51 #41526 by hans05
Mhhh, if someone gave me the blender file and pictures that show what to change, I could have a go at it....

14 Jan 2019 11:24 - 14 Jan 2019 13:08 #41595 by ScottBouch
Hi Hans,

The tailplane / elevator axis of rotation of the real aircraft is aligned with the tail plane / elevator leading edge.

These images of the Cosford Lightning will help you see the pivot where it joins the airframe and the angle it's at. The curved slot is where the actuator in the airframe manouvers the tailplane around the axis of the pivot via a linkage.

media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/.../ea/4d/lightning.jpg

www.rafmuseum.org.uk/images/downloads/En...ectric_Lightning.jpg

In this image, you can clearly see two rows of screws that align with the pivot metalwork inside the elevator, that aligns with the pivot axis of rotation:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c...F_Museum_Cosford.jpg

These wings are also of the correct shape for the T5 and earlier Mk's (straight leading edge, and alieron balance horn). The current wings of the FGUK T5 model are for the F6 (kinked and extended leading edge, no alieron horn).

Cheers, Scott

14 Jan 2019 14:04 #41603 by ScottBouch
Hi Hans,

This diagram shows the pivot - it's actually slightly off the leading edge angle, but more that way than perpendicular.

Cheers, Scott.
Attachments:

14 Jan 2019 14:13 - 14 Jan 2019 14:15 #41605 by ScottBouch
Attachments:

14 Jan 2019 14:40 #41609 by hans05
OK, thanks Scott!!

Now on which original file should I work on?

- Do I use the .ac files from the official hangar ( www.fguk.eu/index.php/hangar/download/7-...h-electric-lightning ) and I have to import to Blender?
- Or is there already some original Blender file or some updated version somewhere where I do not have access to?

Cheers!

14 Jan 2019 15:17 #41610 by ScottBouch
Algy I think was working on one newer than what's in the downloads area. As his cockpit screenshots show more instrumentation than what's in the downloadable version.

Although, the downloadable one may be the one with the updated liveries?

14 Jan 2019 18:18 - 14 Jan 2019 18:18 #41611 by hans05
I did a quick import from the hangar version .ac file to Blender and the result was a bit frustrating. Like in the EC665 the mesh is a bit of a mess AND while the geometry of the tail is only a bit off, the geometry of the wings is quite far off.
So now the question is what to do.

• Shall I try to get the mesh straightened out?
  • Should I correct the geometry of the wing? Since that change would be quite a big one, I am afraid that the livery is in danger of needing to be changed as well.
  • Should I correct the geometry of the tail?
  • I understand that at least the pivot for the tail should be adjusted.

• Attachments:

14 Jan 2019 20:18 #41617 by ScottBouch
    Hi Hans,

I feel the most obvious improvement for this model would be the elevator pivot angle, for the biggest gain vs least knock-on work.

What do you think?

I'm going to start an airframe project tonight, beginning by gathering up as many known correct dimensions as possible, for beginning to take a modular approach to the Lightning airframe, as suggested in the other thread. Unfortunately as Stuart pointed out, this would result in pretty much starting a fresh with a new model.

Cheers, Scott

15 Jan 2019 18:30 #41627 by hans05
    Mhhh, what is the point in improving the old model if it is already clear that you start a new one from scratch?

If you need any help in modelling I would do what I can. I am not very good in modelling, but I am willing to try and learn....

16 Jan 2019 00:06 - 16 Jan 2019 00:10 #41629 by ScottBouch
    Hi Hans,

That makes sense..

I've probably way less blender experience, but want to learn.

I've just completed the exercise of gathering up some measurements and general diagrams from air publications on the T4, T5, and F6.

If you're interested, the files will be here for 1 week:

wetransfer.com/downloads/bc41818d67e523b...0190116000036/ef0678

Next thing for me is to list out the variations of the major parts and link them to which aircraft Mks shared them.

Cheers, Scott

16 Jan 2019 15:35 #41634 by hans05
    Yeah, excellent :-)
    So you go ahead and I will continue with the Tiger.

Oh btw, I am also just starting to learn.....
    The following user(s) said Thank You: ScottBouch

Time to create page: 0.513 seconds