EE Lightning T5: Stage 1 - Beta Prep

15 Aug 2016 08:20 #30585 by ScottBouch
Sorry to hear about that... gives me a bit more time to pull info together for you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Aug 2016 09:39 #30591 by Algernon
Thanks, dude. To be honest, this particular release is not too dependent on much more data as I only plan to tidy up existing stuff, make sure the MP/AI stuff all works and get a basic workable model out there. But there's plenty to get our teeth into for the next release - looking forward to liveries, working accurate fuel system, new reheat animations for ALS (non-Rembrandt) use... all sorts of goodies :)

I sent you a link to the current pre-release in your PMs if you want to have a look in the meantime...

15 Aug 2016 10:45 - 15 Aug 2016 12:57 #30592 by ScottBouch

Algernon wrote: Thanks, dude. To be honest, this particular release is not too dependent on much more data as I only plan to tidy up existing stuff, make sure the MP/AI stuff all works and get a basic workable model out there. But there's plenty to get our teeth into for the next release - looking forward to liveries, working accurate fuel system, new reheat animations for ALS (non-Rembrandt) use... all sorts of goodies :)

I sent you a link to the current pre-release in your PMs if you want to have a look in the meantime...

My word, that feels quick!!

My weekends are usually away form the PC, unless I'm selling on ebay or something.. So I've only just downlaoded it, and love it!

The radio is great to operate!! a real nice feature with good realism!

Comments:

As I only see black from startup being on Linux, it'd be handy to have a keyboard button, or a switch to click to turn off the taxi lights while on the ground.

The red & green nav lights seem to hover in front of the wings, but as the wings need work anyway, it's probably going to get fixed then.

The fin look s a little thick from the front.

Cockpit comments:

The T5 only has one LFS (Light Fighter Sight) on the left, the T4 had two though. Also the engine RPM gauges only appear on the left of the cockpit panel in the T5.

Are these the sort of comments you're after right now?

I do get this when starting it form the Launcher:

Ah, I've just realised why - I don't have the Victor installed.

Cheers, Scott.
Attachments:

15 Aug 2016 12:57 #30594 by ScottBouch
just used Terra Sync for the first time, took off from Cranfield (I assume I need to add airfield files? as I was just on a runway in the countryside) flew down the M1 toward London, then decided to head off to Wales with the hope of reaching RAF Valley. However I had reheat on most of the way, and ran out of fuel.

Now, the FDM allowed me to glide the Lightning for miles and miles, what seems to be quite a long time for a 15 ton aircraft - It was more like flying a glider, catching thermals!

But great fun..

15 Aug 2016 13:06 #30596 by StuartC
Well you do cover lots of ground at those speeds when the engine cuts.

15 Aug 2016 13:17 #30597 by Algernon
The Lightning FDM is, at best, guesswork because YASim isn't really designed for aircraft with extreme performance, and it doesn't really get more extreme than the Lightning...

However, if you WERE gliding it, you must have been doing it fast - below 250kts, it drops like a bloody rock!!

15 Aug 2016 13:52 #30598 by Algernon
Scott, lots of stuff to talk about if you're flying it for the first time, and as far as scenery is concerned, there is even more. I've got a lot on at work today, but hopefully tomorrow I can write a bit more about it. For now, what can I say? Erm... don't expect too much...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScottBouch

15 Aug 2016 14:03 #30599 by ScottBouch

Algernon wrote: However, if you WERE gliding it, you must have been doing it fast - below 250kts, it drops like a bloody rock!!

I think I went into the glide at Mach 2, in a slight dive!

15 Aug 2016 14:45 #30600 by Algernon
Regarding Cranfield, I checked it out a week or so back as I was going to set you up a scenario - it's decidedly stark as far as buildings are concerned, as many airfields in FlightGear are, but I do have a nice "Cold War" scenario at RAF Coningsby made, with T5s, Victors and a Vulcan (so far) - Coningsby to Valley is a nice short flight with (some) airfield models in place. I'll be flying out of there a few times tomorrow, testing for the release.

15 Aug 2016 15:05 #30603 by ScottBouch
Excellent, I previously hadn't realised that airfield buildings and taxi-ways and scenery were not the same thing! so went withthe assumption that Terra Sync would build them too... the FGFS wiki is a bit thin on the ground for beginners in places.

15 Aug 2016 15:56 #30604 by Algernon

ScottBouch wrote: Excellent, I previously hadn't realised that airfield buildings and taxi-ways and scenery were not the same thing! so went withthe assumption that Terra Sync would build them too... the FGFS wiki is a bit thin on the ground for beginners in places.

That's something of an understatement. FlightGear is not, in any way, user friendly or well documented, and the main forum is a minefield - just asking for support over there can potentially trigger a global conflict!!

15 Aug 2016 16:21 #30606 by StuartC
it has done, twice. Look what happened to Lybia, we got blamed for that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Algernon, ScottBouch

15 Aug 2016 16:24 - 15 Aug 2016 16:24 #30607 by ScottBouch

StuartC wrote: it has done, twice. Look what happened to Lybia, we got blamed for that.

Hahahaa... :)

15 Aug 2016 16:32 #30608 by Algernon
Yeah, and it's rumoured some guy from Target for Today is actually Bashar al-Assad, who was a nice quiet optometrist until he asked us for help with Terrasync...

16 Aug 2016 06:40 #30617 by Algernon

ScottBouch wrote: My word, that feels quick!!

Yep, she's pretty hot! :)

Comments:

As I only see black from startup being on Linux, it'd be handy to have a keyboard button, or a switch to click to turn off the taxi lights while on the ground.

The black volume issue will be fixed for the release this evening, and yes, eventually there will be a cockpit switch for the taxi lights. They will default to off, but be switched on as part of the automatic startup sequence (or you can do it yourself, if starting manually).

The red & green nav lights seem to hover in front of the wings, but as the wings need work anyway, it's probably going to get fixed then.

Yes, that's a slightly irritating issue with the animation which "flares" the aura as the view angle changes. Will try and fix it, but it's tricky, always has been - if they're too close, they clash with the wing and make unsightly black overlap marks.

The fin look s a little thick from the front.

OK - might be able to do something about that, but major model changes can be problematic (we didn't make the model, it came from an old MS FlightSim model I believe). Will have a go though

The T5 only has one LFS (Light Fighter Sight) on the left, the T4 had two though. Also the engine RPM gauges only appear on the left of the cockpit panel in the T5.

Noted. Incidentally, what does the big rotary switch on the front of that unit do?

Are these the sort of comments you're after right now?

Absolutely :) Though how many of those will get done this time around is another matter. Planning another release for a month or two, so all will be added to the ToDo list.

I do get this when starting it form the Launcher:

That's a dependency bug that was fixed after I zipped up the pre-release you have. Not a problem anymore. There should not be any external dependencies. I just took out those pillar lights anyway, they weren't accurate.

Many thanks! :)

16 Aug 2016 08:50 - 16 Aug 2016 08:57 #30620 by ScottBouch
Thank you for the detailed reply!

As for the fuselage shape, can you advise me how I can open it in Blender? ie: can it be taken from the FGUK model, or do you have to give me a different source file? Just thinking I could go over it looking for other areas of improvement in shape aside from the thick fin, then attack the shape as a whole, saving time overall.

This if from XS458, and has some orange tape on it from the RAF days, I've not seen others taped like this, must have been some reminder for the pilot:

The rotary arm on the front of the LFS should be manually set to match your air speed. It changes the alignment of mirrors in the LFS, moving the target marker up and down... presumably to compensate for aircraft attitude at different speeds. The marker also sits at different heights depending on what the armament selector is set to. The arm has two pointers, and two scales, of the same air speeds!

I'm sure at the time it would have seemed like a good idea to automate the LFS airspeed setting... probably ran out of budget...

The LFS also has a handle underneath it that slides from left to right, but I can't recall what it does.. you can see it hanging down in this photo.

The marker itself is looks a bit like this: --( o )-- From memory I think that's pretty much all the LFS displays, but will double check the manuals when you're closer to that part of the project.

Cheers, Scott.
Attachments:

16 Aug 2016 09:11 - 16 Aug 2016 09:14 #30623 by Algernon
FlightGear uses .ac models (I think that's the AC3D native format) and you need a custom import/export Python script that I think was written by an FGFS developer for the purpose. It's a minor faff to install - here's what the FG wiki has to say about it . I could also send you the .blend file, which might be good to have anyway, as different components are on different layers and it's generally set up to be easier to edit.

Stuart and I also suspected the LFS did not display airspeed and altitude, but we left it in because at the time the IFIS instruments were either not animated or in the pilots eyeline at standard view. I need to create the airspeed/mach IFIS display from scratch, as it's from the Buccaneer and the casing is wrong, and is rather rough. That's going to be tricky to do as we need textures of the whole ribbon (I presume the Mach scale moves to the right to bring the correct mach number reading into line with the white marker) and it's unlikely we'll get a quality texture of that without getting in a Lightning at top speed (probably not going to happen, alas!!) or getting hold of an instrument and supplying signals to it.

I don't know how busy you are today, but I'll be on TeamSpeak or Mumble all day if you want to chat/swap scenery/go flying, that sort of thing...

16 Aug 2016 09:16 #30625 by Algernon
Regarding the rotary arm, we could always add a bit of code that automatically turns the arm according to airspeed as if the pilot was doing it - perhaps only under certain circumstances, like then the master arm is enabled?

16 Aug 2016 09:32 #30626 by ScottBouch

16 Aug 2016 09:44 - 16 Aug 2016 09:49 #30627 by ScottBouch
I've just set up mumble, and connected to your server?

Do you use Intercom, Telebrief or UHF?

I have a little time now, but must work in a bit..

Cheers, Scott

Time to create page: 0.266 seconds