Happy to stumble upon FGUK

06 May 2017 18:43 #33879 by Tom
Hello everyone,

my name is Tom and I am a game developer from Germany.

My background is Unity3D, Unreal Engine, Blender, Linux and C++.
I am really excited to join this forum and to connect with so many people who share my passion:
Open Source and flying.

At university I am part of the simulator team which a decommissioned Bo 105 into an XPlane simulator.

Currently doing my bachelor of engineering, I am looking forward to contribute as much of my spare time as possible to improving FlightGear and/or its aircraft.

Really looking forward to joining the events and have a great time sharing stories.

If you have got any questions or want to chat, feel free!

Greetings from the lake of Constance

Tom

Linux Ubuntu 16.10

06 May 2017 19:01 #33880 by timi
Welcome Tom!

Just out of curiosity what are you running on X-Plane for that Bo 105?
Something custom or publicly available?

06 May 2017 21:12 #33881 by J Maverick 16
Hey Tom!
Welcome aboard what some people call "The House of Madness"... Boooyaahh! ;)
Mav

Breakin' the sound barrier every day.
Oh God, that's EGOD!

FG 2.10 - 3.2
Win 7 - OS X 10.6.8
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom

06 May 2017 21:24 #33883 by Porcius
Stuart will be after you !

Porcy

Lightning DOES strike twice.

Watchmen Quote - "I am looking at the stars.... Thier light takes so long to reach us. All we ever see of Stars are thier old photographs"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom

07 May 2017 06:20 #33884 by Tom
We are running this BO 105 from the forums.

Really there are a lot of changes in terms of avionics etc. since we have a glass cockpit implemented in the old Bo, but still the same flight model is used as the one from the link.

It's more about the startup and operation of avionics, so there are lots of changes in terms of startup and being able to use every switch.

At the same time we are implementing force feedback and a motion platform right now, but thats WIP.

Linux Ubuntu 16.10

07 May 2017 06:49 #33886 by timi
I'll try that for comparison to FlightGear model. A Bo 105 with a glass cockpit. Now that would be interesting to see. Would you like to share some photos?

07 May 2017 07:37 - 07 May 2017 07:38 #33888 by Avionyx
He's a mole! Posts in a FG forum and the next few replies are all about XPlane!

Do we still have burning at the stake as a suitable punishment? We'll have to get a burning area set up at EGOD

07 May 2017 08:29 #33891 by timi
We may need to pay a visit to the Bo 105 sim and refit it with FlighGear?

07 May 2017 09:32 #33892 by Avionyx
That sounds like a much better solution. :D

07 May 2017 20:35 #33908 by Tom
I hope the pond will keep you from burning me at the stake at least until I have finished Uni :D

About replacing it with FG, I would love to but we have lots of projects from the students which all depend on xplane. They don't want to just throw them away and rather show the public what students have accomplished.

So it it was brand new, FG could work but for now XPlane is used.

Really wish I had more pictures, but most of them have my ugly mug on them :P

Linux Ubuntu 16.10
Attachments:

07 May 2017 22:59 #33910 by timi
Interesting idea to separate warnings and cautions to their own panels.
Have there been studies of their effect on pilots compared to a regular
warning panel?

08 May 2017 14:25 #33912 by Vodoun da Vinci
Welcome Tom! really nice having another freak at the Saturday FlightNight event...enjoying yer input so much. Hope you find fun stuff here at FGUK.

VooDoo

09 May 2017 15:57 #33938 by Neilson
Hi Tom.

Welcome to the madness :)

FG 3.2
Mac 10.9.5

My FG Screen Shots:- neilson.imgur.com
My FG Video's:- www.youtube.com/user/skateflite
My FG Streams:- gaming.youtube.com/user/skateflite/live
My Twitter twitter.com/NeilsonUK

12 May 2017 12:42 #33985 by ScottBouch
Hi Tom, welcome!

I'v only been an active member for a short time. My main contribution has been providing aircraft data to help the developers improve the models... Mainly the Lightning T5 so far which is where my real-world hands-on experience is.

Nice to see the forum liven up a bit recently! See if any of your University friends also want to join!

Cheers, Scott.

13 May 2017 16:40 - 13 May 2017 16:42 #34017 by Tom
Thanks for all the kind words, really appreciate the warm welcome :)

Yesterday we had a big event at campus which was an effort to involve people from the outside with what we do.

Last years news paper article can be found here (btw sorry for not formatting the link, if I do I cant submit due to spam prevention :pinch: ):
www.suedkurier.de/region/bodenseekreis-o...mm;art372474,9247053

If there are any pictures from yesterday, I will post them here as well.

You can tell from the picture in the article, that the professor wants to improve on the glass cockpit capabilities of the sim. Over the next semesters we will also implement augumented reality etc. to aid in navigation. Good stuff, really looking forward to that.

Linux Ubuntu 16.10

13 May 2017 21:45 #34026 by timi
Interesting! Maybe something like the Microsoft HoloLens projecting waypoints and other useful information. A HMD if you will.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds