10 Aug 2017 12:37 - 10 Aug 2017 14:36#35013by ScottBouch
I was given another Percent RPM indicator, this one was stuck though, so I've started trying to repair it....
It all begins with a blowtorch!
The blowtorch is to melt the solder keeping the contents inside the can.
Then split the indicator mechanism away from the motor:
it's like clockwork inside.. luckily not too many moving parts though. This mechanism is just stiff, so got t find out which bearing is causing the grief.. hopefully I won't have to take too much of it apart, as there are two flat spiral hair springs inside it... I'd rather leave them well alone!
I did put in a really long and interested reply but I'm testing out a new VPN service at the moment which is on the whole amazing but I messed with the settings mid-post and it changed my ip so I lost the whole thing. (IF anyone's interested it's NordVPN and is the best I've ever used. Currently £60 for 2 years via
Anyway, I'll summarise:
1) Did you find out what that brake gauge was, it looks incredibly familiar
2) Can you, if and when you get time, take some HQ Face on shots of the gauges you have, with no reflection on them. They'd be brilliant to use for FG and we really struggle to get images we can use for cockpit development.
11 Aug 2017 15:17 - 11 Aug 2017 15:37#35040by ScottBouch
2 expanded - I have got the hands off this RPM indicator, so will photograph it bare to give you the best possible backdrop image with no glass or hands in the way!
This photo shows the dial still on the upper mechanism, I'm trying to remove it - got one screw out so far... the other is a pain. This low res image was taken on my phone in poor light, then scaled down for my website, so a proper image will follow.
When It's off, I could also try placing it in my scanner, although I will get higher resolution images with my SLR camera.