Outerra

12 Aug 2017 01:08 #35049 by timi
Has anybody tried Outerra? Ran into it today on some FG forum and had a look.
Apparently it uses JSBSim flight model. I think I have tried this once back when
Oculus Rift DK1 was new. So I drove some car with the demo back then. But
now I tried the Cessna.

The graphics were running at 125 fps most of the time and never below 100.
And the scenery looks awesome too. The FDM seemed a bit odd though. I
wanted to try a helicopter actually but you need to pay to get that functionality.

I recorded a video of the flight as well:

Cheers,

12 Aug 2017 07:33 #35050 by StuartC
Not tried it myself. Graphics do look good, but for choppers, well JSBsim is not exactly suited to choppers at all, and its native crash handling is poor ( probably why you actually got off the ground without turning into Fifeball XL5. )

12 Aug 2017 08:20 #35051 by timi
Makes me wonder though how come FlightGear can't develop graphics like this...

12 Aug 2017 08:23 #35052 by StuartC
That is a question we all ask.

12 Aug 2017 09:17 - 12 Aug 2017 09:18 #35053 by Richard
Downloaded Outerra a few years ago and bought it last year (15 euro). The graphics are impressive - however as yet it doesn't have any airports.

For a bit of fun I started to convert my F-15 to Outerra - and this is where FG scores massively. The development of models in Outerra is hard (compared to FG). You have to import the models inside the game; it uses javascript instead of Nasal, and although I can program both Outerra is lacking in documentation. The 3d model import didn't work properly - as it doesn't use the .ac file it converts it; and the conversion process is quite picky about how you can use vertices and surfaces.

After a few days or so I gave up.

Outerra is a commercial product; it's been in full time development for a good few years and has full time developers working on it. That's why it's slick - but if you look closely the main thing that is does better is the LOD management (which gives better frame rates at altitude), and the really close in stuff (like grass and trees).

It is also missing a lot of support that you need for a simulator; such as the weather modelling, navaids, airports, AI, customisable shaders, canvas, HUD, yasim, xml configurable models, autopilot, property listeners, etc.

It's more suited to use as a rendering engine (i.e. visual system) - they've sold it for this purpose.Maybe one day we'll have the ability to have different rendering engines in FG.

FG is getting better, especially since the fix for random vegetation - since this I can run maximum random vegetation and get 60fps[1] - whereas before the fix I was getting 15fps. There are new shaders for grass that are looking promising.

[1] This is with ALS - Rembrandt doesn't have all of the shader related enhancements - but it does benefit from the random vegetation fix, but not as much because Rembrandt still has to render the scene at least 3 times and sometimes 6 times.

12 Aug 2017 09:29 #35054 by Avionyx
Hi Timi

I've given this a go a few times. The project has been running for quite a few years now and although it looks great it seems to be a bit lacking in goals so keeps getting discounted.

It shares quite a bit with flightgear and there's no reason we couldnt have decent scenery and shadows but, as you've seen, the tools to allow us to do such things are as a buggy as the current scenery.

Alex

12 Aug 2017 11:58 #35055 by timi
No way I get 60 fps with maximum vegetation. Which version of FG should have the fix?

12 Aug 2017 23:05 #35070 by Richard
In the next release; available by building yourself or in a nightly build.

I'm not guaranteeing you'll get 60FPS - but you should see an improvement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: timi

13 Aug 2017 08:44 #35071 by timi
Great news! Thanks Richard!

13 Aug 2017 17:33 #35079 by timi
I tried the new build. Very good performance increase and there was a whole new density level for the vegetation, ultra high. FPS wise I could max out absolutely everything at EGOD but it wasn't smooth even though I had around 25 FPS looking at the hills but 60 fps looking at the sea. So I had to take a step back. At LOWI I had around 10 FPS at ultra high.

The performance increase is such that where I used medium density before, I can use high or very high now. Oh and the new grass looks nice as well.

13 Aug 2017 18:50 #35080 by Porcius
I don't normally neg-comment but the trees on the right at roll out look.... Shit.

And Timi - with a GTX Titan you should really be bashing 80-100 fps on ANYTHING sim wise.

FG is a 'work in progress' and will never be completed, because the developers are always looking for... more and more.
IT will never achieve Outerra status because the good people that make FG do it in their own time.

I still love it and I love the community - especially here at FGUK.

Other than that it 'Looks' nice

Porcy

Lightning DOES strike twice.

Watchmen Quote - "I am looking at the stars.... Thier light takes so long to reach us. All we ever see of Stars are thier old photographs"

13 Aug 2017 19:05 #35081 by StuartC
Hows the not campervan Porcy ?

13 Aug 2017 19:17 #35082 by timi
Porcius,

for FG I'm using vertical sync so it get's capped at monitor refresh rate.
I'll see what I get without it though.

13 Aug 2017 19:52 #35084 by timi
I get 50-100 fps at EGOD. With everything maxed out but vegetation which is on high now with the nightly 2017.3.0 build.

13 Aug 2017 20:00 #35085 by timi
And 25-60 fps with ultra high. But there's a noticeable latency turning my head which feels like
poor VR making me feel sick. So enough fps but not a good experience.

13 Aug 2017 20:26 - 14 Aug 2017 09:02 #35086 by Porcius
The rest of us will adapt to what we can achieve.

The Microcampervan is ok but is a steep learning curve atm. Right things, right place. etc

Porcy

Lightning DOES strike twice.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds