intro to ATC flightnight?

01 May 2014 01:50 - 01 May 2014 06:28 #15241 by Rafdave
The only Sat i'm probably going to be able to make in the near future is 17th May (Holiday + travelling home for a weekend + 4-5 weeks away with work are seriously going to hamper my FG time).

With this in mind and as a gauge of interest who would be interested in doing a night as an intro to Mil ATC? For those who aren't already aware Mil ATC is my full time job and I am more than happy to see if it can add a little something different or even teach the basics.

I'm not talking anything to crazy just simple relevant stuff that we would do anyway but not normally deal with a controller. Something along the lines of meet at EGOD in jets, split into formations of 2/3 (all dependant on numbers), contact Grd to taxi, contact tower to get airborne, fly a Low Level sortie across the country in your formation (possibly even make up the route yourself) this part would have no ATC input at all, as per RL.

At a rough point the formation pull up out of LL you would again call ATC and ask as a formation for vectors to a tanker over the north sea in an actual refuelling area. Do some organised refuelling using the standard positions and "talk" to the tanker for permission to refuel.

Once the refuelling is finished transit back to EGOD to recover in a similar manor to how I have described in the other post.

I can add other little bits in if anyone wants to or even on the night explain how things would work in RL.

I will have to rack my brains on how the finer details would work especially without interrupting the way we use TS(probably the most important part). which heaven forbid might mean we use FGCOM :O :side: :S :blink:

Im interested in your honest (and as brutal as you like) Comments/thoughts/statements please?

This could always be made a semi-official even on Sunday 18th for those that are interested.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 May 2014 08:05 #15244 by Avionyx
I'd be up for that, certainly on the 18th, might not be able to manage the 17th as I've got to pick someone up from the airport at about 7pm.

Would love to learn some new stuff, I'm afraid my civvy habits may show through and need to be corrected, which I'm certainly looking forward to.

Alex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 May 2014 08:54 #15250 by Tomaskom
I'm definitely looking forward to this!

Rafdave wrote: ...which heaven forbid might mean we use FGCOM :O :side: :S :blink:

FGCom got much more hassle free by being included in FG 3.0+ directly, tried it a few days back and it works out of the box nicely ;)

"There are no problems in the air. The only problem is hitting the ground."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 May 2014 09:29 #15252 by Algernon
I'm keen to do exactly this sort of thing, although as it's only two weeks away, I think it might be better to look at doing this as an organised Sunday event on the 18th, if you're available, Dave? Exercises at this formative stage will probably be easier and more effective if everyone in attendance is there for the purpose, without worrying about maintaining the entertainment value

Regarding comms, Tom is right that FGCom is easier now (for those only using one transmitting radio at least) that it's part of the main FG package now. My brief tests with it all went as desired, and I think it's more appropriate for ATC. I would imagine only the leader of the formations would need to communicate with control, but it would be possible for anyone to monitor ATC if they chose to. TS can be kept for chatter only.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 May 2014 10:45 #15259 by Neilson
This sounds like fun, very much up for this :)

FG 2017.2
Mac 10.11.6

FG Screen Shots:- neilson.imgur.com
FG Video's:- www.youtube.com/user/skateflite
FG Streams:- gaming.youtube.com/user/skateflite/live
Twitter twitter.com/NeilsonUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 May 2014 14:04 #15266 by Rafdave
I'm going to be around both nights and Algy raises a very valid point, which was one of my concerns. I absolutely don't want to force this on anyone so a Sat might not be the most appropriate time. So we can have a trial on the 18th and see how it goes. Times??? the usual or as its a Sunday do we move it slightly? I have no issues either way but want suits other interested parties?

Guess what todays nightshift is going to involve.

I agree Tom I've used FGCOM quite a bit with V3.0 and have had no real issues with it so hopefully now its all built in that should be good.

Any understanding and habits are better than none Alex, it would amaze you how much is now done in plain language anyway

I'll stick an event in the appropriate place when I'm slightly more awake, but expect it to involve some callsigns - some radio stuff and definitely using the transponder :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 May 2014 17:08 #15270 by Neilson
Tested Fcom today and it seems to work well on my mac, the only thing that seems to go wrong is quitting FG with Fcom running, crashes on loading out.

Really looking forward to using the Transponder codes properly :)

FG 2017.2
Mac 10.11.6

FG Screen Shots:- neilson.imgur.com
FG Video's:- www.youtube.com/user/skateflite
FG Streams:- gaming.youtube.com/user/skateflite/live
Twitter twitter.com/NeilsonUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 May 2014 17:53 #15271 by Algernon

Neilson wrote: Really looking forward to using the Transponder codes properly :)

Me too. In fact, the EF2000 appears to have the facility (in real life) to change transponder codes automatically with nav system waypoints - I'm quite keen to explore this interesting (and very easy) possibility.

Rafdave wrote: I'll also try and come up with some sort of "Phraseology help guide" specific to the flight and then the rest can be made up as we go along :P

An excellent idea :) We've got a whole article section for Flight which we don't really have much content for. A glossary would be ideal for that, as would some of the other stuff posted with regard to ATC, including diagrams, as reference material.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Rafdave