Setting up FG in Eclipse/Linux

18 Jan 2019 17:25 #41642 by hans05
Hi folks,

has anyone set up Eclipse CDT/Linux in a way that you can code FG in Eclipse and build it and something drops out that can be used immediately?
I already have Eclipse CDT installed. Also I cloned FG into a new workspace, but obviously that will only give me a "general project" that will not at all compile or build.
I understand that there are a kazillion dependencies and so far I have not understood how to integrate everything into Eclipse in a way that I can just press the compile button and then the run button and bang/voilà I get a running FG.

Greetings and thanks for any help,

hans

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Jan 2019 18:30 #41644 by timi
For example on Ubuntu there is a single script to run that gets all the dependencies and builds FG.
wiki.flightgear.org/Scripted_Compilation_on_Linux_Debian/Ubuntu

With that in mind I’d probably run the script once to get all the dependencies and have a look at the script to see what it does to compile and somehow make that happen in Eclipse.

19 Jan 2019 08:03 - 19 Jan 2019 09:25 #41654 by ScottBouch
After trying to set up some photogrammerty software in Linux Mint, I came across the massive dependancies issue too, and gave up.

I later found out that Manjaro comes with most of the dependancies so will be changing OS to suit the package, as it's easier!

However, the FGFS Repo wasn't being maintained very accurately last time I tried Manjaro, which is why I switched to Mint. Makehuman only worked on one and not the other too. You almost need grub to boot to bunch of different OS's depending on the task!

19 Jan 2019 14:00 #41663 by Richard
Generally I'd recommend using cmake rather than the d&c scripts; it can be tedious to get cmake running but generally it's what the core devs uses (OSX, unix, Win32).

You might have to install some more source (OSG, Qt, etc) to get it to work but probably worth the effort as cmake is generally quite good at generating a consistent set of files to build things.

Not sure how eclipse fits into this; I generally avoid IDE's on unix as I find MSVC vastly superior. I think last time I used a combination of netbeans (or whatever it is called now) and xemacs with makefiles

For win32 I generally run cmake like this
cmake ../source  -G "Visual Studio 14 2015 Win64"     -DENABLE_PROFILE=OFF     -DBOOST_ROOT:PATH="i:/dev/flightgear/MSVC_3RDPARTY_ROOT/Boost" -DMSVC_3RDPARTY_ROOT:PATH="i:/dev/flightgear/MSVC_3RDPARTY_ROOT"   -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH="I:/dev/flightgear/MSVC_3RDPARTY_ROOT/3rdParty.x64" -DOPENAL_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=I:/dev/flightgear/MSVC_3RDPARTY_ROOT/3rdParty.x64/lib/OpenAL32.lib -DQt5_DIR="I:/dev/Qt/5.9.3/msvc2015_64/lib/cmake/Qt5" -DBUILD_TESTING:BOOL="0" -DENABLE_TESTS:BOOL="0" -DQt5_DIR:PATH="I:/dev/qt/5.9.3/msvc2015_64/lib/cmake/Qt5/"  %1

19 Jan 2019 17:05 #41673 by timi
Personally I’d go with Richard’s way too but to avoid any burning houses and the like I’ll suggest the simplest thing first. :)

Time to create page: 2.822 seconds